The Festival for the Rest of Us
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Festivus?
- Festivus is a festival that starts the first Saturday before the
11th of December and runs until the 11th of December.
- What happens if December 11th is a Saturday?
- Festivus starts the 4th which is the Saturday before the 11th.
When this occurs it is known as Festivus Maximus
- Why the 11th of December?
- William D. (Bill) Leahy Jr. was born on the 11th of December.
- Why is it called "The Festival for the Rest of Us?"
- Religion is based on faith. Followers of Christian, Jewish,
Islamic and other religious traditions rely on the faith of the
followers. Festivus is based around Bill Leahy Jr. and there is
no faith required. He can come over to your house and have
dinner. He's real.
- Wasn't Festivus actually invented by the writers of the Jerry
- This is a popular misconception. Let's look at the facts: The
first episode of Seinfeld aired July 5th, 1989. Jerry Seinfeld
was born April 29th, 1954. Bill Leahy Jr. upon whose birthday
Festivus is based was born December 11th, 1948. Quad ipso ergo
- What connection is there between Ben & Jerry's Festivus ice cream and
- As is well known, ice cream is Bill Leahy Jr's. favorite food.
- How should I celebrate Festivus?
- There are a number of different traditions here:
- Send Bill a birthday card.
- Send Bill a gag gift.
- Send Bill a real gift.
- Send Bill a gift for each day of Festivus.
- Visit Bill and take him to lunch.
- Visit Bill and take him to dinner.
- Add Bill to your will.
- There is no limit!
- Who is Frank Costanza?
- My freind claims Festivus is celebrated on the 21st or 23rd of December?
- He's not your friend. Look he can't even spell friend correctly!